Thursday, December 2, 2010

Past Present : Breaking Out The Classics compilation

I thought I had a pretty good idea of what the new Revelation compilation, "Past Present" was going to be about.
Just from the title, I expected new, young hardcore bands covering the classic songs from the early Revelation catalog that influenced and inspired them to form bands themselves. Maybe they would have a take on a song you have heard a million times that will make you fall in love with hardcore all over again.

Well, kind of. I thought that was what this was going to be until I saw the track listing.

Sick of It All covering Warzone. Weren't they around at the same time? Then Sick Of It All is getting covered themselves by Walter Schreifels who himself was in Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, etc. You also get Bold covering Supertouch and then Bold getting covered by Ambitions.
Further down you have a metal band covering a current metalcore band too. (Ignite The Will covering Shai Hulud).

Let's just call it an awesome covers compilation and leave it at that.

As far as the vinyl goes, there are two colors available in the first press. The limited color option is yellow out of 335.


There is also a black vinyl pressing out of 749. I LOVE when labels like Rev give us the one limited color option. It reminds me of the old days! I think both are still available at RevHq.

The full color glossy insert is pretty cool as you get a whole column and a half of Ray Cappo waxing poetically about hardcore. Ever since I saw the "Edge" documentary, I could listen to or read Ray stuff all day. The dude has charisma.
Oh yeah, there are other contributions there as well.

There are a tonne of songs on this album, I'm pretty sure you can find something you like. Oh and it is a benefit comp too, so that's cool.

3 comments:

  1. I still need to pick this up...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate compilations, and even worse is a compilation of cover songs. That said, I'll probably still pick this up.

    ReplyDelete