Sunday, March 20, 2011

Rival Schools - Pedals lp

You know, I could get used to this patience thing. It seems to be working out financially for me.

When the pre-order went up for the first new Rival Schools album in 10 years (has it really been that long?), I was blown away and somewhat intimidated by the number of packages, options, merch designs and shoes. Yeah shoes.
Of course the most important thing for me is the vinyl so when I saw that the variations for vinyl were really different picture discs, I decided to wait it out and see if the good old black vinyl would hit Calgary at a reasonable price and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping.

Bingo.

Glorious 180 gram black vinyl out of 2000.


There are also two different picture discs out of 500 each if picture discs are your thing. Personally the only picture discs I willingly buy are the Iron Maiden lps since Brave New World. That's only because there are no other options.

Musically, this is firmly planted in indie/alternative rock. As much as I would love another Gorilla Biscuits or even Quicksand album, it ain't happening. You aren't even going to get a "United By Fate".
On the other hand, taken for what it is - it is good. Like really good. I was speechless listening to the first track "Wring It Out". Walter's voice and vocal melodies are once again amazing.
As spring limps it's way here, I can see myself listening to this a lot. Cool.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I am not the only picture disc hater out there. That is pretty funny that you only have picture discs of the later Iron Maiden LPs, as those are the only ones I have kept as well. At least they are hidden away in an actual sleeve.
    Dave Sams

    ReplyDelete